(This Article is Contributed by Mr Arun Yadav, a digital marketing expert Specifically in On/Off-page SEO & Content Marketing)
1.Digital or IT, literacy refers to the ability to use different types of technology – be it the internet, smartphone, computer, or tablet. As the word literacy means, it includes some kind of basic knowledge or the ability to use a digital medium.
However, digital literacy includes more knowledge about how to use the Internet. The question arises here, what should be the purpose of digital literacy? Isn’t it enough to be able to use the Internet, which opens doors to basically everything?
2. Digital literacy is the ability to creatively and innovatively identify and use technology to meet the demands and challenges of living, learning and working in a digital society.
3. Digital literacy is able to make sense of digital media. This includes the need for 21st century citizens, their analysis, their priority and the ability to work on a daily basis accordingly.
Characteristics of Digital Literacy
- Comprehension – a basic understanding of ‘what it is’ and ‘how to use it.’
This is the first step to understanding digital literacy is a basic comprehension of ideas, terms, and concepts.
Many people, who do not have knowledge of the use of digital technologies, need an introduction to basic digital technology principles. Such as how computers work, how to use the Internet, etc
2. Communication and social connection – talking to others.
One of the most basic reasons is that people want to get online and use digital technology (keeping in touch with others).
Knowing the medium of digital technology, you can make digital connections through email, Facebook, Twitter, chats etc.
3. Storage and retrieval – saving information and finding it later.
If you do not know how to store the information or find it later. Or, how to store everything you create later.
Then you must be known – how to keep the fact, and also how to keep it safe and secure so that other people cannot use it without your permission.
4. Creation – making your own content and presenting it.
Once you have mastered some basic digital skills and concepts, creating and presenting your own digital content is an important step.
But this task is simple in comparison to things like making a website, designing, writing an article, or giving a presentation.
5. Interconnectivity – how devices work together.
Many people do not know how our data, videos, messages, etc. reach from one place to another or how two devices work together. This is all a work of interconnectivity, which people often ignore.
Why Digital Literacy is important?
It is important to recognize digital literacy, an important component of literacy. Generally and specially Covid-19 epidemics scenario Digital literacy revolutionized people’s lives by empowering them with information, government officials, other services, and many other benefits, creating better livelihood opportunities.
Digital Literacy in Education
How to make Digital Literacy program effective
1. You have the necessary resources for interactive digital learning.
No digital literacy program can really work without using the tools, to make them digitally literate, the learner should be given an environment where they can use the equipment comfortably.
Learners should increase their skills by imitating the actual technique as well as examples.
2. Learners can demonstrate their knowledge by performing the skills you teach during, and after, the lesson.
Practice whatever skills a learner has learned and consider some planning.
3. Your program incorporates all aspects and principles of basic digital literacy.
There are many components of digital literacy that need to be learned alongside each other.
4. The learner can create something and share it.
Creating a digital object and sharing it in the digital space will help Learner gain confidence and help them gain a deeper understanding of their digital impact.
5. You offer ways to access technology in the future.
Providing equal access to the Internet and digital technologies is not easy. Many community-run or government-funded organizations are dedicated to reducing this problem, but it is still a struggle that many people face.
We need to strive to create equal opportunities for everyone to become digital citizens.
Digital Literacy level in India
According to a report by Digital Empowerment Foundation in 2018, about 90% of India’s population is digitally illiterate.
While India is facing a digital revolution, it means the inability of people to access and benefit from lack of access to information and communication technology services and lack of skills required to use these services.
In the context of digital literacy, the government is making some special efforts to increase digital literacy skills among citizens.
There are three main digital literacy programs that have either been implemented or are in the process of implementation
- National Digital Literacy Mission
- Digital Literacy Campaign
- Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Literacy Campaign.
NDLM was approved in March 2014 and targeted to train 10 lakh citizens in select districts. Subsequently, DISHA was approved in December 2014 with an additional target of 42.50 lakh candidates across the country.
The only difference between the two schemes is that apart from ordinary citizens in DISHA, ASHA workers, government workers, and fair price shop workers were also trained.
The coverage target has been increased under PMGDISHA, which seeks to make six crore people digitally literate in rural India.
“However, as of October 2018, around 2 crore people have been covered, which is just 1.67% of India’s population”.
Examples of Digital Literacy
- Understanding how to use the web browser, search engine, email, text, wiki, blog, Photoshop, PowerPoint, video creation/editing software, etc. for learning performance.
- Evaluation of online resources for accuracy / reliability of information.
- Using online classes to enhance classroom learning.
- Selecting the appropriate media to demonstrate learning – Understand which platforms will best describe your message and learning to peers and teachers.
- Using an interactive whiteboard in class for lessons and allowing students to use interactive whiteboards on a daily basis.
- Encouraging students to use technology to demonstrate their learning.
- Using the web (web sites video, music) to enhance the education of its students.
- Students and teachers producing online content can be used both inside and outside the classroom.
Model digital age work and learning
Teachers demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and work processes of an innovative professional in a global and digital society.
A. Demonstration of flow in technology systems and transfer of current knowledge to new techniques and situations
B. Collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation
C. Convey relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats
D. Model and facilitate the effective use of current and emerging digital tools, facilitating the use of information resources to analyze, evaluate, and support research and learning.
Merits of Digital Literacy
Why everyone should care about digital literacy, here is some main reasons –
- It saved time.
- You learn faster
- You save money
- It makes you safer.
- It make you happier
- It keep you Informed
- It can you employed
- It keeps you connected
- You can influence the world.
- You’ll make better decisions.
Tech tips for safety in the digital world
Here’s what we learned about safe and secure using online tools:
- Never give your details online to strangers – you do not want to give your phone number or bank details to a stranger!
- Make sure you have strong passwords – it is best to use a combination of symbols, letters, and numbers.
- Digital platforms used by educational institutions are usually more public than private – so be careful with your data.
- Enter personal details only on secure websites that you trust.
- Secure websites in the address bar will start with HTTPS: //.
- Check the spelling of the web address for the site you are visiting – fake sites often change the address slightly to deceive you!
- You can use the password manager program to create strong passwords for your online accounts.
Digital literacy needs to spread awareness of the Internet and create a demand for it, and teach people to use devices and digital mediums so that they can use their potential at once.
Dear Readers, I hope this article provides you deep insight about the digital literacy. Please share your reviews about this article. Your inputs are heartily welcome.